Short History of Beesley & Fildes
Beesley & Fildes were established in 1820, and it has taken nearly two hundred years to turn the once small firm into the large enterprise that it is today. In the early 1800's it was common practice for a son to follow his fathers footsteps with regards to his chosen profession. This was not the case for 21 year old Robert Beesley. What made his decision even more unusual was that his ancestors were all professional beer tasters! Robert Beesley decided that a beer tasters life was not for him, and in the 1820's set himself up as a master painter, plumber, and glazier with a shop in Prescot.
In 1841 Robert Beesley's son James joined him. After operating from the same premises for almost fifty years, James decided to move the business. The extra space allowed James to expand his range, and also began to sell to other tradesmen in the area. On his death in 1887, James passed the running of the business over to his sons, Joseph and William. After WWI William's son William-Joseph who was injured whilst in service, asked his brother-in-law, expert craftsman and grainer James Fildes to join him. The pair pooled their gratuity money to expand the business, and as a result the Beesley & Fildes name came into being.
In 1947 William's sons, Jack and Bill joined Beesley & Fildes. Then in the 1980's Bill retired and Jack Beesley was in turn joined by his three sons, John, Paul & Gerard. In 1987, the family expanded the business by opening a new yard in Huyton, where a purpose built timber yard and mill were opened. New yards were acquired in Liverpool in 1995, Birkenhead in 1997 then Chester and Prestatyn in 1999.
The year 2000 saw the opening of a new dedicated plumbers & tile merchants and a bathroom showroom in the Liverpool depot, which imports tiles directly from manufacturers in Spain and Italy. In 2001 HSS Agency Hire Shops were opened in the Huyton & Prestatyn branches. In 2003, a new roofing centre was built in Huyton, a new branch in Warrington was acquired. In 2004 the Prestatyn branch was sold also in 2004 Colin Myers Timber Ltd was purchased. In 2006 the extensive refurbishment of the Colin Myers Timber site was completed, a new roofing centre was added to the Warrington Depot and James Whitakers Garden Centre in Prescot was acquired.
Back in the 1820's when the young Robert Beesley decided to give ale testing a miss and set up on his own, he could never have anticipated that the firm he founded, passed down from father to son through the generations would still be trading today.
Please e-mail customer services for more details on Prices, Stock & Delivery.