Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of concrete roof tiles?
Concrete roof tiles offer countless benefits for homeowners looking for a durable, affordable, and aesthetically pleasing roofing option.
Brands like Marley concrete roof tiles are renowned for their durability. They can withstand harsh weather conditions and are fire-resistant. For homeowners living in areas prone to wildfires, this can provide extra protection and peace of mind.
Concrete roof tiles are also affordable: compared to other roofing materials such as slate or clay, they are significantly more cost-effective. They offer long-term cost savings as they require minimal maintenance and can last up to 50 years or more.
Aesthetically speaking, concrete roof tiles come in various colours, shapes, and sizes. If you are looking for the finishing touches on your renovation project, homeowners will find it easy to select a product that complements their overall design.
Concrete roof tiles maintain their colour well over time and do not fade as quickly as other roofing materials, meaning you can keep your house looking new for years!
How long do concrete roof tiles last?
Concrete roof tiles, also called ‘flat roof tiles’, are well-known for their long-lasting properties.
They can last up to 50 years with proper maintenance and are a popular choice among homeowners looking for a permanent roofing solution.
The lifespan of flat roof tiles varies depending on specific factors, including the quality of the tiles, the installation process, and the climate. Choosing a reputable manufacturer, like Marley concrete roof tiles, can help extend their lifespan.
Regular inspection and maintenance of concrete roof tiles can also ensure they last as long as possible: this may include cleaning the tiles, checking for any damage or wear and tear, and making any necessary repairs or replacements.
How many concrete roof tiles per m2?
The number of concrete roof tiles required per square metre (m2) varies based on several factors, including the size and style of the tiles.
Standard-sized Marley concrete roof tiles, like the Double Roman Half Smooth Brown, are typically around 420mm x 330mm and require approximately ten tiles per square metre.
However, the number of tiles required can differ depending on the roof’s pitch, the overlap of the tiles, and other design considerations. For example, flatter concrete roof tiles may require fewer tiles per m2 than the typically smaller Roman roof tiles.
We recommend consulting a professional roofing contractor to determine the exact number of concrete roof tiles required for a specific project.
They can provide a more accurate estimate based on the roof’s dimensions, the type of tiles used, and any other special requirements: this can help ensure that you order the correct number of tiles and save yourself some money!
How do you clean concrete roof tiles?
Regular cleaning of standard and Roman roof tiles can help maintain their appearance and extend their lifespan. Here are some steps on how to clean concrete roof tiles:
- Prepare the necessary tools and equipment, including a ladder, garden hose, soft-bristled brush, cleaning solution, and safety gear.
- Carefully climb onto the roof using a sturdy ladder and proper footing.
- Use a garden hose to wet the surface of the tiles thoroughly.
- Apply a cleaning solution to the tiles, such as a mix of water and mild detergent or a commercial roof cleaning product. Use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub the tiles, starting at the roof’s highest point and working downwards.
- Rinse the tiles with a garden hose, ensuring you remove all soap residue.
- Inspect the tiles for signs of damage or wear and tear, such as cracks or chips. If necessary, make any necessary repairs or replacements.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to prevent clogging and ensure proper drainage.
After following these steps, you can effectively clean your concrete roof tiles and maintain their appearance and longevity.
When should I replace my concrete roof tiles?
Concrete roof tiles are known for their durability and can last for decades.
However, they may eventually require replacement due to damage or wear and tear. Here are some signs that indicate it's time to replace your concrete roof tiles:
- Cracks or Chips: Noticing any cracks or chips in your concrete roof tiles is a sign of damage that could lead to leaks or other problems.
- Missing or Loose Tiles: If any tiles are missing or loose, it's a sign that they are not providing proper coverage and protection.
- Age: Over time, concrete roof tiles may begin to show signs of ageing, such as fading or warping.
- Wear and Tear: Heavy rain, strong winds, and other weather conditions can cause wear and tear on concrete roof tiles, which may eventually lead to damage.
If you notice any of these signs, it's vital to consult with a professional roofing contractor to assess the condition of your roof and determine if replacement is necessary. You can help prevent more significant problems by addressing damage immediately.